This policy tells the user about how we use and protect your personal information
User/Member/You- Non-Member of Swapen, Merchant, Seller, Buyer, Affiliate, Advertiser
Third Party Payment Service(s) – Google Checkout and Amazon Payments
Third Party Sellers – Members who pick-up items to sell on behalf of owners
Users can browse our sites without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
We may collect and store the following personal information:
- email address, physical contact information, and (depending on the service used) sometimes driver license, financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers for verification purposes;
- transactional information based on your activities on the sites (such as bidding, buying, selling, item and content you generate or that relates to your account);
- shipping, billing and other information you provide to purchase, local pick-up or shipping, an item;
- community discussions, my wanted lists, chats, dispute resolution, correspondence through our sites, and correspondence sent to us;
- other information from your interaction with our sites, services, content and advertising, including computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- additional information we ask you to submit to authenticate yourself or if we believe you are violating site policies (for example, we may ask you to send us an ID, or bill to verify your address, or to answer additional questions online to help verify your identity or ownership of an item you list); another example is we may call you to authenticate ownership of your business.
- information from other companies, such as demographic and navigation data; and other supplemental information from third parties (for example, if you incur a debt to Swapen, we will generally conduct a credit check by obtaining additional information about you from a credit bureau, as permitted by law).
We don't sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services, content and advertising. If you don't wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference by following the directions provided within the communication or advertisement.
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. You agree that we may use your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- customize, measure and improve our services, content and advertising;
- tell you about our services and those of our corporate family, targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences; and
- compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties.
Information You Share on Swapen
Your User ID is displayed throughout Swapen (and so available to the public), and is connected to all of your Swapen activity. Other people can see your purchases, items for sale, seller store, feedback, ratings, wanted lists and associated comments. Notices sent to other community members about suspicious activity and policy violations on our sites refer to User IDs and specific items. So if you associate your name with your User ID, the people to whom you have revealed your name will be able to personally identify your Swapen activities.
If you access our site from a shared computer or a computer in an internet café, certain information about you, such as your User ID, activity or reminders from Swapen, may also be visible to other individuals who use the computer after you.
Using Information from Swapen
Swapen enables you to share personal and financial information to complete transactions. We encourage you to disclose your privacy practices and respect the privacy of other users. We cannot guarantee the privacy or security of your information and therefore we encourage you to evaluate the privacy and security policies of your trading partner before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your information. To help protect your privacy, we allow only limited access to other users' contact, shipping, my wanted list, and financial information to facilitate your transactions. When users are involved in a transaction, they may have access to each other's name, User ID, email address and other contact and shipping information. In all cases, you must give other users a chance to remove themselves from your database and a chance to review what information you have collected about them.
You agree to use user information only for:
- Swapen transaction-related purposes that are not unsolicited commercial messages;
- using services offered through Swapen (e.g. wanted lists, third party selling, shipping and fraud complaints), or
- other purposes that a user expressly chooses.
We use "cookies" (small files placed on your hard drive) on certain of our pages to help analyze our web page flow; customize our services, content and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness, and promote trust and safety.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session.
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of some of our sites or services.
- You may encounter cookies from third parties on certain pages of the sites that we do not control. (For example, if you view a web page created by another user, there may be a cookie placed by that web page.)
No Spam, Spyware or Spoofing
We and our users do not tolerate spam. You are not licensed to add other Swapen users, even a user who has purchased an item from you, to your mailing list (email or physical mail) without their express consent. To report Swapen-related spam or spoof emails to Swapen, please forward the email to spam@Swapen.com. You may not use our communication tools to send spam or otherwise send content that would violate our User Agreement. We automatically scan and may manually filter messages to check for spam, viruses, phishing attacks and other malicious activity or illegal or prohibited content, but we do not permanently store messages sent through these tools. If you send an email to an email address that is not registered in our community (via Refer Members or other tools), we do not permanently store that email or use that email address for any marketing purpose and are not liable for the spam that you have created. We do not rent or sell these email addresses.
Your password is the key to your account. Use unique numbers, letters and special characters, and do not disclose your Swapen password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify Swapen and change your password.
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
You can see, review and change most of your personal information by signing on to Swapen. Generally, we will not manually modify your personal information because it is very difficult to verify your identity remotely. You must promptly update your personal information if it changes or is inaccurate. Once you make a public posting, you may not be able to change or remove it. Upon your request, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable law. We do retain personal information from closed accounts to comply with law, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our Swapen User Agreement, and take other actions otherwise permitted by law.
Your information is stored on servers located in the United States. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use lots of tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
My Wanted List
My Wanted lists are never shared with an outside third party, but are shared with users on Swapen. Users have a choice to use this service and in doing so share preferences for products with members voluntarily, and therefore Swapen is not liable for privacy violation.
Payment Transactions made on Swapen
All transactions on Swapen and payouts to users are made through third party payment services. Swapen has neither control nor liability for abuse or misuse of your information by third party payment services. Please make sure before signing up on Swapen to read Google Checkout's and Amazon's privacy policies.
Local pick-up is an option that the user selects to allow buyers to pick-up items purchased, and do not have to disclose their private residence or retail outlet; they can use a public location. If the user decides to meet at their private residence, retail outlet, or work location they release Swapen from any liability that may occur as the result of privacy violations during or after the pick-up of a product or after a service rendered.
Users will ask for the 10 digit confirmation number to make sure that the buyer is verified. Swapen is not responsible for privacy violations outside of our website.
Users on Swapen who use Classifieds to post information to the viewing public are responsible for sensitive information if disclosed to users. Users who send personal information to the classified owner of the post are solely responsible for disclosing private information. Swapen is not responsible for privacy when users willingly send private information.
Third Party Sellers
Users who choose to allow third party sellers on Swapen to sell on their behalf may need to share business information. We cannot guarantee the privacy or security of your information and therefore we encourage you to evaluate the privacy and security policies of your third party seller before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your information. To help protect your privacy, we allow only limited access; contact, shipping, my wanted list, and product information.